**APPLICATION LINK: https://iastate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_86yUqjS332UGda5
Through professional development and mentorship, the CALS, LEAD IT Collective is committed to building strong leaders and community partners who not only acknowledge the values of diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion, but also recognize the importance of developing intercultural competency through active engagement with academics, multicultural programs, and social justice initiatives.
The CALS, LEAD IT Collective members serve as liaisons to student organizations, academic departments, and assist in the development and implementation of specific projects. Team members provide an invaluable link to the student body as representatives of the CALS Dean’s Office. The program provides avenues for selected students to facilitate discussions, provide peer diversity training, host diversity related programming, and represent the CALS Dean's Office at outreach events.
- Student must be in "Good Standing" at Iowa State University with a 2.5 grade point average and above.
- Commitment to learning more about the dimensions of diversity and inclusion; particularly race, ethnicity, culture, religion, sexual orientation, class, gender; and working to build a diverse campus community.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to be a leader, eager to take risks and to try new things.
- Open to meeting and engaging with new people.
- Must have at least 3 semesters remaining
- Ambassador for the full academic year
- Two retreats scheduled for: January and August (exact dates to be determined).
- Bi-weekly 90-minute group meetings
- Developing and executing diversity trainings and programs to address topics around diversity, inclusion, and intercultural competence throughout the year.
Applications are now open and close on Tuesday, November 26. In order for your application to be considered, it must be completed and received by November 26. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status by December 9.
All students majoring in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences are welcomed to apply.
Application link: https://iastate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bfiZEe5fb1Ajf6Z
Words From Our Members
Dear CALS: I chose this statement because it was created during a time when a single country became strong and unified. I believe that globally we need to adopt this mantra now more than ever.
Dear CALS: Where you come from and how you tell that story is tied up in your identity. At times, that validity is challenged, your identity is challenged. In some way or another, it doesn't line up with what people think. They don't expect you've achieved so much or done all you have done despite the details. That doubt they have for your story doesn't matter. Tell your story because your facts make you who you are and valuable for it.
Dear CALS: I have always felt I wasn't adequate to speak about these issues, and when I first started speaking about it, my voice would shake so much. Then I saw this quote, and it was really empowering and comforting.
Dear CALS: The respect and celebration of diversity and inclusion cannot happen with tolerance. Tolerance is like saying "I guess I can live with having people of color in my classes, at my job, and on my campus." That's not enough. As a community, we need to work toward the mentality of saying "It's okay that there are people of color in classes, at my job, and on my campus because they belong here just like I do." We need to do better together.